Monday, June 15, 2009

Sesame Poppy Tahini Crackers (with or without Spirulina) & Tahini Salsa Dip









Yesterday I went to the grocery store. I know! It's hard always being on the cutting edge. I spotted some bulk brown rice flour which was super cheap. I knew I had to have it.

Then I got home and looked in my cupboard and there it was, giving me "that look"--my 20 oz container of spirulina a.k.a. blue green algae. Now, of course I know that it is supposed to be really healthy. Why else would anyone buy that much? However, I didn't realize that mixed into any liquid, spirulina would make me gag, which is really strange, seeing as almost no non-animal food in existence can do that to me.

I had been doing a bit of online research and found that spirulina should not be heated so as to preserve it's nutritional benefits . Inspired by "Spirulina Popcorn" where you take hot, freshly popped corn and put it in a paper bag and sprinkle in spirulina and shake to coat, I came up with this AMAZING cracker. I seriously love it. I just ate a whole plate and they made me feel tingly good--like really focused and energized. Maybe spirulina is a "wonder food" or maybe it's all in my head.

They taste just list those seaweed rice snacks. If you like those, I guarantee you'll like these. I'm not just saying that because I invented them, I'm saying it because in my heart and in my mouth I know it's true!

The recipe below makes a nice, hearty, cheesy tasting cracker. Excellent as is. I made half into plain (without spirulina) and half with spirulina.

Sesame, Poppy, Tahini, Chickpea Powder, Brown Rice Flour Crackers
(makes a lot--a lot is a relative term, depends on how you cut 'em)

1/2 cup sesame seeds
2 tbsp poppy seeds
1/4 cup "nooch" a.k.a nutritional yeast
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp onion powder
1/2 cup chick pea flour
1/8 tsp cayenne powder
1/8 tsp curry powder
1 1/2 cup brown rice flour
2 tbsps vegan sugar
1/2 tbsp salt
2/3 cup tahini
1 cup hot water
3 tbsp vinegar

Mix all seeds and dry ingredients really well. Add tahini and mix with fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add hot water and vinegar and get your hands in there and mix well until you have a pliable dough that does not crumble apart. If too dry add a tbsp more water. If necessary, repeat until dough stays together.

Let dough rest, covered, at room temperature, for 20 minutes.

Cut dough in half. Spread out an overturned sheet cake pan or baking tray--no need to oil as the oil from the tahini will keep crackers from sticking to your pan. Then take a rolling pin and roll it 1/4 in thick. Cut off edges to leave a large rectangular shape.

With a pizza cutter score rolled dough into desired shapes. I made basic squares. Score with prongs of a fork. Do not separate cut dough!

Bake in 375 degree oven for 10 minutes. Take out of over and separate, then back into the over for another 7-1o minutes or until they start to brown slightly around the edges. Serve with your favorite dip.

NOW--if you wanna make them REALLY good.

Put half a recipe of still warm crackers into a paper bag. Sprinkle in 4 tbsps spirulina powder. Shake around carefully to distribute powder. Enjoy!

WARNING: This might not be the best cracker for dipping, unless you don't mind your dip getting tainted. Maybe put dip on the the individual cracker?

Tahini Salsa Dip

1/3 cup tahini
1/3 cup your favorite salsa--I used Smokey Fire Roasted Carrot Jalapeno Salsa (my recipe from yesterday's post)
2 tbsps lemon juice
3 tbsps Sriracha

Mix well & serve. Resulting dip will be nice and thick. Spicy & slightly sweet. Sriracha covers up the slight bitterness of the tahini.

No comments:

Post a Comment